What's In Our Products?
The skin is the body's largest organ, an active interface between our bodies and the environment. It's been well documented that what you put on your skin ends up in your body (just think of nicotine patches), so we believe it's really important to be fully aware of what's in the products you use.
Over the last 50 years, tens of thousands of new chemicals have been developed, most of which have never been properly tested on humans. We are absorbing a vast array of these new synthetic chemicals from our food, our toiletries, and our immediate environment. Surely it can be no coincidence that over the same time period, the incidences of illness such as eczema, allergies and even cancers have greatly increased.
We may not be able to avoid all of these chemicals, but we believe it makes sense to do what we can to minimize contact wherever possible.
What's not in our products
We believe that what you leave out of a product can be as important as what you put in. This logo includes just a few of the ingredients you won’t find in any of our products, and why:
- No synthetic fragrances – many contain chemicals that are harmful to health
- No silicones – they coat skin, and impede its natural function
- No mineral oils – derived from petroleum, and have a tendency to block the skin
- No parabens – have been linked to hormonal imbalances
- No GM ingredients – not enough is known about possible long-term implications
- No phthalates – it’s reported they have toxic impact on humans and animal life
- No propylene glycol – derived from petroleum
- No animal testing – unnecessary and cruel
- No DEA – associated with known carcinogens
- No EDTA – (powerful metal chelator), and doesn’t biodegrade readily
- No acrylates – derived from petroleum
- No nano – not enough is known about its long term implications
- No BHT – linked to breathing and lung impairment
What's in our products?
When it comes to the ingredients in our products, at Neal’s Yard Remedies we pride our self on our honesty, integrity and transparency. We are proud to have been awarded 'Champion Status' by The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics for our long commitment to organics, and for helping to show that making safer products and fully disclosing ingredients can be good for all. Below you'll find even more information about our products, ingredients and philosophies!