If life is about change and skin is a perfect example. Our skin is at the mercy of many things as we age: sun, weather, habits, genes, and more. We all know we can take steps to help our skin stay supple and fresh looking. But how important is cleansing?
The short answer is: very. There's a fine balance between scrubbing your skin and causing irritation which could lead to an acceleration in skin aging, to not properly rinsing and removing things like make-up, SPF and pollution – all of which can cause an increase in free radicals, and leading to an acceleration in skin aging. While it may seem tedious after a long day, cleansing is an integral part of aging skin health.
Some skin changes that come with age:
- Skin becomes rougher due to a lack of oil and sebum, meaning it is less capable of retaining moisture.
- Skin becomes slack. The loss of elastin and collagen in the skin as we age causes the skin to hang loosely, causing wrinkles and fine lines.
- Skin becomes more transparent and fragile as we age, caused by thinning of the epidermis and dermis.
- Skin becomes more easily bruised. This is due to thinner blood vessel walls as we age.
But how is this relevant to cleansing?
Cleansing is the very first step of any effective skincare routine. It loosens dirt, oil, dead skin cells, SPF (the list goes on) – all of which clog your skin throughout the day. If these impurities aren't removed, your serums and moisturizers can't penetrate the epidermis effectively, meaning your skincare is less effective. You couldn't mop before sweeping, would you?
If you're in to skincare you've probably heard of the oil cleansing method (also known as the 'OCM' or double cleanse) that features 2 cleansing steps. The first cleanse is with oil. Using oil is a very effective way to dissolve products that are oil based – think back to biology – oil attracts oil, therefore making it easier to lift and dissolve things like make-up, SPF and sebum. The other lovely thing about using oil cleansers is that they are usually made up of plant oils meaning they are full of fatty acids and antioxidants, so they are very nourishing, gentle and kind to the skin. The main difference with cleansing oils is that they are designed to wash off when mixed with water to ensure all the impurities are rinsed and removed. This sort of gentle method is perfect for all skin types, but especially mature skin types that need a gentle, yet effective cleanse.
Our new Frankincense Intense Cleansing Melt is made with these factors all in mind. Our innovative formula respects delicate skin while removing daily impurities, while hydrating and nourishing the skin without leaving it feeling greasy.
- Gel Phase - The Frankincense Intense Cleansing Melt is formulated to begin as a rich cleansing gel. When you squeeze the cleanser from the tube it holds its form, unlike a traditional oil cleanser, allowing you to easily apply the gel to your face and neck. Massage in to begin the cleansing process and loosen dirt and impurities.
- Oil Phase – Once the gel is applied to your face, massage all over in a circular and upwards motion. The gel will now turn into a skin-conditioning oil, dissolving the dirt and impurities and 'lifting' them from the skin.
- Water Phase – When you apply water to the oil, it will transform into a creamy milk to wash away impurities and final traces of the cleansing process, leaving skin feeling clean, yet nourished.
We've used a gorgeous blend of natural ingredients to transform your cleansing routine.
A micro-emulsion of natural sugars and oils bind with water to give a triple-texture effect, melting away even waterproof make-up, for skin that feels intensely cleansed, without drying.
A luxurious blend of organic sunflower, sweet almond and refined coconut oils combine to help trap moisture within the skin’s surface to leave skin feeling soft, supple and renewed.
Soothes your senses with our boswellia sacra (frankincense) essential oil, treasured for centuries for its deeply relaxing aroma.
As always, the new Frankincense Intense Cleansing Melt is formulated using Soil Association Organic ingredients, has been dermatologically tested, ophthalmologically tested and is suitable for all skin types.