It is easy to fall into the trap of believing that the goal of mature skin care is to make you look younger. Exaggerated promises, such as ‘look 10 years younger overnight’ or ‘quickly reduce all signs of aging’, sound too good to be true because they are. Looking healthy and the best you can for your age is a much more sensible and achievable goal - love the skin you're in!. As we age, our skin undergoes changes - the collagen fibres that are the underlying support structure of the skin become twisted and matted, causing wrinkles and lines. There are some measures you can take to help slow down this process - the earlier you start, the better your skin will appear later in life.
Your skin is the first organ in the body to show the signs of aging. As a general rule, the more sensibly you care for your skin and your overall health throughout your life, the better you can withstand the aging process. Alter your beauty regime to accommodate the changes in your skin. Moisturise day and night, and buy products aimed at your particular skin type. A good suncream can help protect your skin, opt for organic and mineral-based products without chemical contaminants. Let your skin breathe, go without makeup when you can get plenty of fresh air to help oxygenate the cells of the skin. We suggest limiting your alcohol consumption, not smoking, and limiting sun exposure.
The skin around your eyes is very delicate and becomes more so as you age. Use products specially designed for those areas and pat them into the skin, don't rub. Be sure to get enough sleep, studies show that lack of sleep can age your appearance by as much as 10 years. For an extra boost, why don't you opt for a facial massage? Book time with a professional therapist, or learn how to do it your self!
Fight free radicals, unstable molecules that attach to skin cells that are the main cause of premature skin aging. The body produces them but pollution and synthetic chemicals increase exposure. Antioxidants help to neutralise free radicals, so choose products rich in Vitamin E and make sure your diet contains plenty of fresh whole foods. Eat foods with plenty of Omega-3 fatty acids like fatty fish, as well as foods with other beneficial fats and nutrients like avocados, seeds and nuts, and foods high in beta-carotene like sweet potatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, and, of course, carrots, which will make a big difference to your overall 'glowiness' [study]. Dark chocolate, green tea and even red wine (in moderation) can also benefit your skin! Exercise 4 times a week, mixing endurance and weight training to keep the blood flowing to your skin and removing toxins (use natural deodorants to ensure that your pores and sweat glands aren't clogged so toxins can freely leave your system).
As a quick fix to prevent or minimise the appearance of age spots, use a good quality mineral-based sunscreen and choose organic products with ingredients such as lemon and benzoin essential oils which have skin lightening properties, and liquorice (capable of lightening spots) and glycolic acid (a gentle exfoliant derived from citrus papaya).
Choose skin care products (or make your own) with these ingredients:
Herbal Healers - rose, comfrey, marshmallow root, marigold, and white or green tea
Essential Oils - frankincense, myrrh, rose, palmarosa, lavender, neroli, and patchouli
1) Cleanse - use a light, gentle cleanser such as our Rejuvenating Frankincense Facial Wash to remove makeup and grime.
2) Tone - Refresh skin, refine pores and remove residue with a toner that prepares the face for nourishing treatments. A slightly astringent toner has a non-drying, anti-wrinkle effect.
3) Serum - Serums supply collagen-boosting peptides and antioxidant botanicals. They penetrate deeper than a moisturiser. Apply before your moisturiser or makeup. A serum should absorb quickly without tingling. For those with the first signs of aging, choose our Frankincense Intense™ Concentrate, with active ingredients that include organic, wild-harvested and FairWild frankincense, plumping gardenia stem cells, and a line-smoothing 3-peptide complex and nourishing organic argan oil. Second signs of aging require our Frankincense Intense™ Lift Serum, the hyaluronic acid helps to smooth deep lines while the lifting technology of micro-algae, ribose and linseed oil helps to smooth wrinkles.
4) Moisturise - Choose antioxidant and collagen-boosting cream with anti-aging botanicals to protect and rejuvenate your skin. Use light but nourishing cream, leaving your skin feeling soft, not oily or tacky. For those with the first signs of aging, choose our Frankincense Intense™ Cream which has been clinically proven to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, firm, tone, boost skin’s suppleness and instantly hydrate. Frankincense Intense™ Lift Cream combats the second signs of aging, including loss of firmness, reduced elasticity and deep lines and wrinkles.
5) Eye Cream - the right eye cream can reduce fine lines and wrinkles, dark circles and puffiness, while hydrating and brightening the eye contour. For those with the first signs of aging, choose our Frankincense Intense Eye Cream, which is clinically proven to deliver visible results in just 15 days! Those with second signs of aging will see results with our Frankincense Intense™ Lift Eye Cream, formulated to target skin that’s starting to show a lack of firmness, elasticity and definition.
6) Night Cream - the ingredients in this cream should nourish the skin and work overnight to boost collagen and reduce wrinkles. A suitable night cream like our Vitamin E & Avocado Night Cream should be nourishing and moisturising without feeling too heavy.
Apply a mask - Nourish and cleanse the skin with a mask that removes grime. A suitable mask, like our Rejuvenating Frankincense Firming Mask, should be rich in nutrients and supply antioxidants to the skin, leaving your skin feeling smooth, nourished and clear. Apply after toning and before applying serum, leave on for the directed time and rinse off gently with tepid water.